[vtkusers] vtk web pages eat CPU

Chris Scharver scharver at evl.uic.edu
Wed Apr 7 13:44:05 EDT 2004

On Apr 7, 2004, at 12:21 PM, Glen Lehmann wrote:

> The VTK page (http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classes.html)
> exhibits similar behavior using Safari on OS X 10.3.3.  CPU usage is
> consistently between 25% and 40%, as opposed to 0% to 15% without the
> VTK page open.

I don't see the same thing here with 10.3.3. Safari spikes while

Maybe it could have something to do with some of the extremely long
lines in the HTML source for that page? I'm not sure if those long
lines may make it harder for Firefox and Safari to parse and render the
page? Also, each class is a table. Tables can be notorious for causing
performance issues. All the HTML comes from doxygen, and it's likely
that generating a page with the sheer volume of VTK classes just
creates a page that some HTML engines don't render efficiently.

--
Chris Scharver
Electronic Visualization Laboratory