[vtkusers] Speed/vtkImageData

David Gobbi dgobbi at imaging.robarts.ca
Thu Apr 1 14:07:10 EST 2004

Hi Ted,

Make sure the whole of the ImageData has been updated.  I suspect
that the reason things are slow is that it is continuously re-reading
the data from disk, either that or it is continuously re-executing
upstream portions of the pipeline.

To update the whole ImageData:
ImageData->UpdateInformation();
ImageData->SetUpdateExtent(ImageData->GetWholeExtent());
ImageData->Update();

If this is the first time that the ImageData has been updated,
you can just do ImageData->Update() and skip the rest.

Also, since ImageActor renders the image via texture maps, make sure
that you have a good 3D graphics card in your computer.

 - David