[vtkusers] VTK 4.2 compile error in vtkScalarBarActor

Ian Miller MrMiller at shelob.plus.com
Sat Sep 27 14:44:04 EDT 2003

Hi,

> On a clean Win2000 os + latest hole patches.
> 1)       full installation of MS Visual Studio.NET 2003
> 2)       installed CMake 1.8 patch 1
> 3)       extracted "VTK-4.2-LatestRelease.tar.gz"
> 4)       ran CMake against VTK 4.2 source code
> 5)       pointed Vis-Studio to the "VTK.sln" file
> 6)       ran Build | Build Solution
> Result:
> Everything compiled except two errors in vtkScalarBarActor:  (lines 357
> and 536) same error:  looking for overloading of 'pow' to (int, float)
> Since pow(float, float) is available, I tried casting the integer
constants
> to float, and compilation errors went away.

Snap!  Except that I'm running Windows XP.

> what pow is doing?

Raising the first argument to the power of the second.

> So how come this hasn't produced failed tests for anyone else?

Maybe the main contributors all use the latest CVS code all the time?
Or they mostly run Linux/UNIX?  I didn't get this problem at work
with Visual C++ 6.0 either, so it's probably just that .NET 2003 is too
recently released for many people to be using it yet.

> Does the (float) casting cause any problems?

Surely not.

Regards,
Ian