[vtkusers] VTK + Windows -> Commerical App - Feasibility ??

Leila Baghdadi baghdadi at sickkids.ca
Thu Sep 25 11:32:26 EDT 2003

Hi Ketan
I have built my own medical application using VTK and some of Atamai
classes plus my own vtk classes for viewing/segmentation/surface
rendering/ signal to noise ratio calculation etc of mice
(MR/CT/Ultrasound) images here at our Centre.
I agree with Prabhu on all the accounts although I believe his
e-mail was a bit harsh!

I have two machines one linux (red hat 9.0) with the following card
Model:           Quadro4 900 XGL
IRQ:             16
Video BIOS:      04.25.00.27.05
Card Type:       AGP
and one windows 2000.
so far I have been developing everything on my linux box and then transfer
it to windows for compilation and building the installer. Our clients
(medical researchers mostly) have been using my software for a while and so
far I have got very good comments, although everyone complains about the
speed which is mainly due to our image sizes, larger than 2 GB.
So in order to overcome some of the speed issues, I am working in
collaboration with another group to create a new file format which allows
things like chunking and multi-resolution so we do not have to worry about
memory size and speed issues.
Other than that, all I can say is like others I am grateful that I do not
have to deal with openGL directly.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

HTH

Leila