[vtkusers] Suggestions for implementing this new approach ?

tutu lamotte tutulamotte at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 12:34:01 EDT 2003

We made an "Autocad\Catia" kind of application.

It can load 3d models based on our files format.
Each 3D components is a primitive and so far, it is
represented by a pipeline starting by the vtkPolyData
instance, a vtkPolyDataNormals filter, mapper and
actor.

We generated memory profiles reports for a test case
composed of 50 simple cylinders.
The vtk DLLs are generating up to 8 Mo of data in
order to display those 50 cylinders. (BTW, 3 of these
8Mo are allocated by nvoglnt.dll)
For us, this is way too much. The complexity of the 3D
models we will have to display in production mode
makes the application take more then 1 Go of memory...

So we're looking at ways to solve the problem or go
around it by changing our design !

Thanks for any suggestions.

--- John Biddiscombe