[vtkusers] vtk web applications

Kevin Wright Kevin.Wright at ansys.com
Tue Sep 23 14:09:05 EDT 2003

 > I'm looking into the potential of deploying visualizations created in vtk
 > on the web and I was wondering if anyone who has attempted to make a web
 > enabled vtk application (with java or other tools) could share their
 > experiences, good or bad.  What pitfalls should I be careful of?  I have
 > noticed a few posts on this topic from quite a while back but there isn't
 > a lot that I can find on this subject.  Right now I'm working on a
 > java/vtk tool and would like to explore the possibilities of making a web
 > enabled version.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
 >
 > -chris

Last year I developed an ActiveX object using VTK which enabled me to embed a viewer in an Internet Explorer browser page, and a similar Netscape Plugin version to run on Netscape.  It can be a fairly thin layer over top of the VTK code.  I don't think there are any online demo's anymore, but you can access the installation for the version that I created from:

http://www.viz-solutions.com/WebSight3D.html

The way this was developed was to accept either a filename or URL to specify the location of polydata information which it would draw into the ActiveX window.  It took very little research into ActiveX to enable us to create a thin GUI layer to access the VTK functionality from the browser window.  One problem with this approach is that, for now, you really need to develop an ActiveX package and a Netscape Plugin package.  Much of the code can be shared, however, and the Netscape API is similarly easy to wrap around VTK.

Hope that's of interest.
Kevin.