[vtkusers] Borland C++ and Unresolved Externals

David Bourg davidbourg at cox.net
Thu Sep 18 12:46:52 EDT 2003

Hi folks,

I'm very new to VTK and was trying a very simple demo using both MSVC and
Borland C++ Builder 6.  I was able to get the demo to compile, link and run
fine in MSVC; but have no such luck in C++ Builder.  Basically, if I write a
simple class that includes vtkRenderer *myRenderer as a member and then try
this: myRenderer = vtkRenderer::New(); in the constructor of my class then
upon linking I get "Unresolved external: vtkRenderer::New() referenced
in..."

I should note that before statically linking to the various vtk libraries
(including vtkCommon.lib, vtkFiltering.lib, vtkGraphics.lib, vtkHybrid.lib,
vtkImaging.lib, vtkIO.lib, vtkRendering.lib) I had to use Borland's coff2omf
tool to convert the libraries; otherwise I would get a COFF/OMF error upon
linking in C++Builder.

Does anyone know of any work arounds for this/these issues?

(By the way, I get the same error(s) when I try to build the
vtkBorlandRenderWindow componant package that's distributed with VTK.)

Thanks for any help...

David