[vtkusers] make install failure on OSX10.2.6? python import error

Dr. Daniel James White PhD dan at chalkie.org.uk
Thu Sep 18 10:12:14 EDT 2003

Hi all,

After some effort with cmake and CMakeCache.txt editing I have managed
to compile and link vtk using carbon windowing interface with python
and tcl wrapping. The make install step gave no errors.
I then ran the setup.py install script for the python wrapping (
VTK/Wrapping/Python/setup.py )
No problems there.

However when attempting to import vtk within the python interpreter, I
get an import error, eg

[danwhites-ibook:/Applications/Mayavi/mayavi] danwhite% pythonw
Python 2.3 (#2, Jul 30 2003, 11:45:28)
[GCC 3.1 20020420 (prerelease)] on darwin
 >>> import vtk
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-
packages/vtk_python/vtk/__init__.py", line 27, in ?
     from common import *
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-
packages/vtk_python/vtk/common.py", line 7, in ?
     from libvtkCommonPython import *
ImportError: Failure linking new module: libvtkCommonPythonD.dylib:
dyld:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/Python.app/
Contents/MacOS/Python can't open library: libvtkCommonPythonD.dylib
(No such file or directory, errno = 2)

I am trying to run mayavi and of course this problem prevents it from
working.

The file libvtkCommonPythonD.dylib was built in the make process
(in VTK/Common/libvtkCommonPython.dylib),
But maybe it wasn't installed to the location it is being looked for
in? This is the only copy on my system.

Do I need to specify something extra in my CMakeCache.txt file to get
this file (and maybe others) installed in the right place?

The test programs in the VTK/bin directory, eg TimeRenderer work fine.

any ideas anyone?

I'd love to get Mayavi working on my iBook, so I can show off the great
new volume rendering module at the ELSO conference in Germany this
weekend....

cheers

Dan

Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Cell Biology
Department of biological and environmental science
PO Box  35
University of Jyväskylä
Jyväskylä FIN 40014
Finland