[vtkusers] ColorIsosurface.tcl problem - error vtkStructuredGrid *' to 'class vtkDataSet *'

Ketan Mehta ketan.mehta at wipro.com
Fri Sep 12 06:49:42 EDT 2003

Hi All,

I am trying to convert all tcl examples to C++ windows examples, ( manual work :( )
To understand better on windows platform.

While converting the example from tcl to C++ on windows, I am getting following
compile error. Same error has been posted earlier.

ERROR::
IsoSurface.cpp(40) : error C2664: 'SetInput' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'class
vtkStructuredGrid *' to 'class vtkDataSet *'

Platform - VTK 4.2 ( Windowsed installer ) on WinXP

I am using following example and both relevant code are pasted for reference -

C:\Program Files\vtk42\Examples\VisualizationAlgorithms\Tcl\ColorIsosurface.tcl
--------- TCL example ---------------------------
# This example shows how to color an isosurface with other data. Basically
vtkPLOT3DReader pl3d
    pl3d SetXYZFileName "$VTK_DATA_ROOT/Data/combxyz.bin"
    pl3d SetQFileName "$VTK_DATA_ROOT/Data/combq.bin"
    pl3d SetScalarFunctionNumber 100
    pl3d SetVectorFunctionNumber 202
    pl3d AddFunction 153
    pl3d Update
    pl3d DebugOn

# The contoru filter uses the labeled scalar (function number 100
# above to generate the contour surface; all other data is interpolated
# during the contouring process.
#
vtkContourFilter iso
    iso SetInput [pl3d GetOutput]
    iso SetValue 0 .24

------------------ VC++ code for Windows platform ----------------
#include "vtkRenderer.h"
#include "vtkRenderWindow.h"
#include "vtkRenderWindowInteractor.h"
#include "vtkCamera.h"
#include "vtkActor.h"
#include "vtkPolyDataMapper.h"
#include "vtkPLOT3DReader.h"
#include "vtkContourFilter.h"
#include "vtkLODActor.h"
#include "vtkStructuredGridOutlineFilter.h"
#include "vtkContourFilter.h"
#include "vtkPolyDataNormals.h"

main()
{
// Read some data. The important thing here is to read a function as a data
// array as well as the scalar and vector.  (here function 153 is named
// "Velocity Magnitude").Later this data array will be used to color the
// isosurface.

	vtkPLOT3DReader *pl3d = vtkPLOT3DReader::New();
	pl3d->SetXYZFileName("E:/VTKData/Data/combxyz.bin");  // Just for timebeing
	pl3d->SetQFileName("E:/VTKData/Data/combq.bin");
	pl3d->SetScalarFunctionNumber(100);
	pl3d->SetVectorFunctionNumber(202);
	pl3d->AddFunction(153);
	pl3d->Update();
	pl3d->DebugOn();

// The contour filter uses the labeled scalar (function number 100
// above to generate the contour surface; all other data is interpolated
// during the contouring process.

	vtkContourFilter *iso = vtkContourFilter::New();
    iso->SetInput( pl3d->GetOutput() );
    iso->SetValue(0, 0.24);

	vtkPolyDataNormals *normals = vtkPolyDataNormals::New();
    normals->SetInput( iso->GetOutput() );
    normals->SetFeatureAngle(45);

Thanks & Regards
Ketan

|Ketan Mehta | Wipro(HS) | Bangalore | +91-80-5110-3070 x3057|
|+91-80-8522636 | 98454-48492 | ketan.mehta at wipro dot com |
|  Don't let CAN'T attitude discourage ~I N N O V A T I O N~ |

whatsoever is strictly prohibited.