[vtkusers] vtkDecimatePro, vtkQuadricDecimation error metrics

Mark Cheyne cheynm at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 16:10:24 EDT 2003

Hello - I am using ActiViz 4.0.  I'm finding the
documentation less than clear on this topic - I want
to do a TIN decimation, either to a specified %
reduction in vertices (in the case of vtkDecimatePro)
or to a user-specified maximum error (in the case of
either class).

I then want to report what the error actually WAS (if
I Accumulated the error).  However, a call to
vtkDecimatePro.GetMaximumError() merely reports back
the value I set with SetMaximumError().

Similar for vtkQuadricDecimation.Set/GetMaximumCost().

Ideas? I thought that perhaps one is not intended to
see what the error really is, but merely set the upper
limit on the error, in which case I should not be
surprised that I am seeing this behavior.  Or I could
be doing something dumb/wrong.

Regards, Mark Cheyne