[vtkusers] Multithreading and VTK

Ben Harris pben at arlut.utexas.edu
Thu Sep 11 10:37:47 EDT 2003

Hello all,

After referring to the books, and online documentation, and searching
the vtkusers list, I am still stumped.

Is it possible for a RenderWindowInteractor to process events and
control the camera on one thread, while on another thread a simulation
is running? At the heart of this question, I believe, is the level of
thread-safety associated with the visualization pipeline.

Here is my application: I am writing an N-body simulation--a numerical
simulation of celestial bodies which move due to gravitational
interaction. I would like to run the simulation while allowing the user
to pan and zoom the camera.

Thanks in advance,
Ben Harris

--
R. BENJAMIN HARRIS                Space & Geophysics Laboratory
pben at arlut.utexas.edu             Applied Research Laboratories