[vtkusers] VTK and Python2.3

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Oct 30 23:40:57 EST 2003

    CD> -----------------------------------------------------------
    CD> Problem 1: Using the latest stable VTK4.2.3
    CD> ----------------------------------------------------------- If
[snip]
    CD> roseland
    CD> /work/Me/exsrc/build/VTK/Examples/VolumeRendering/Python
    CD> >python PseudoVolumeRendering.py Traceback (most recent call
    CD> last):
    CD>    File "PseudoVolumeRendering.py", line 37, in ?
    CD>      cutter.SetCutFunction(plane)
    CD> ValueError: method requires a VTK object

Please look here and see if it helps:

 http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/vtkfaq?req=show&file=faq02.004.htp

    CD> -----------------------------------------------------------
    CD> Problem 2: Using the VTK CVS (Oct 30) and Python2.3
    CD> -----------------------------------------------------------
    CD> The import fails !  reload will go further and eventually work
[snip]
    CD> <module 'vtk' from
    CD> '/roseland0/cdat/latest/lib/python2.3/site-packages/vtk_python/vtk/__init__.pyc'>

I don't think reload will reload a Python extension module (which is
what VTK is).  The wrapper packaging which is what __init__.py and
other friends are, might reload but you won't get much out of it.  So
basically if the import failed don't try reloading, its not going to
work.

Unfortunately, I am not sure why you have the errors in the first
place.  Perhaps you picked a bad time to checkout the CVS tree?
Please try updating and check again.

Problem 3 I really dont know.  Again it might make sense to get CVS
later and try again.

Good luck!
cheers,
prabhu