[vtkusers] Problems in applying an adaptive subdivision algorithm using vtk

Dimitris Andritsos jimandr at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 28 17:43:55 EST 2003

Hello All,

I am trying to implement an algorithm that performs adjustment and adaptive
subdivision of a polygonal mesh approximation of an implicit surface. I am
using Marching Cubes to obtain a coarse approximation of the mesh and
afterwards I am working with that.

The algorithm depends very much on the normals at the vertices and centers
of the triangular mesh. So before beginning with the algorithm I use
vtkPolyDataNormals to obtain the normals at the vertices and the triangle
centers of the mesh that results from Marching Cubes. Then I use the output
from vtkPolyDataNormals as input to the algorithm. Up to this point there is
no problem .After performing some iterations with the algorithm, the
topology of the mesh changes and so should the normals. However I haven't
managed to succeed in changing these. Although, I am calling Update for the
mesh after each iteration of the algorithm the normals remain the same. But
if each time I create a new instance of vtkPolyDataNormals and use that to
compute the normals then these appear to be different from iteration to
iteration. I would really appreaciate any help on how this should be
correctly done.

The second problem has to do with insertion of new triangles. I would like
your help on what would be the best way to update the PolyData mesh each
time a triangle is split. I am working with InsertNextLinkedCell and Point
but I am getting strange debug errors.

Thank you very much in advance,
Dimitris