[vtkusers] Java Data streaming query

Ian Grimstead I.J.Grimstead at cs.cardiff.ac.uk
Fri Oct 24 13:56:20 EDT 2003

Christopher M. Navarro wrote:
> One possibility is to construct part of the vtk pipeline on the server and
> the latter half of the pipeline (mappers/actors) on the remote machine.
> You can do the data loading/filtering/etc on the server side send the
> polydata across the socket to the remote machine to visualize the results.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback, it's an interesting notion (I was going to keep
a copy on the "server", and maintain a duplicate on the "client"). Your
approach should reduce the footprint.

But... how do you send the polydata across? Is there any support in VTK,
or do I simply have to copy the polydata to a buffer, send the buffer &
rebuild the data on the client?

(Spot the VTK newbie :-)

Ian

--
Dr. Ian Grimstead, Senior Research Associate, RAVE project.
School of Computer Science, Cardiff University, Queen's Buildings,