[vtkusers] Rendering layers

Vidyadhar vidyadhar at lucidindia.net
Sun Oct 12 23:27:19 EDT 2003

From
Vidyadhar

I use Windows2000 with VC++ 6.0.
I needed a zoom window facility. I found suitable code in TCL from which I converted code to C++. I have subclassed vtkInteractorStyle to create new style for my purpose. It works fine. I have fairly large volume data and in its presence the render call from style (this->Interactor->Render()) is very slow. So I tried something like this.
I created two renderers for same render window and they share camera too. I added my actual data in layer 0 renderer and nothing is added to layer 1 renderer. I checked that in style code, PokedRenderer turns out to be the one on layer 1 and it is to this that my style code will add its actor. My idea is to render just the top layer and leave the slower rendering actual data alone. I tried using Render() methods of both vtkRenderer and vtkActor. Each executes without problem but the screen is not updated. Which method should I use and what else I need to do so the render window gets selectively updated.
Thanks for listening to me.
Any guidance will be appreciated.
Yours
Vidyadhar