[vtkusers] reading amira data with vtk

Seema Jaisinghani seemri at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 12:02:47 EDT 2003

Hi Patrick,

I don't know how you are loading images in Amira. Are
your ct images uniformly spaced or vary in z? Anyway,
you will be able to get them as a stack if uniformly
spaced by just selecting all the single files when
spaced uniformly, you can still get them as a
multichannel field by specifying the distance between
every image in a text file channel.info.
Now save this single object as an amira mesh object
i.e. stackname.am
this is a binary file with amira mesh header. It is
simply volume data. Remove this header and replace
with vtk files header.Your header will be something
like-
# vtk DataFile Version 3.0
Raw Volume Data
BINARY
DATASET STRUCTURED_POINTS
DIMENSIONS  101  101  101 (these areth dimensions of
your stack)
ORIGIN 0 0 0
SPACING 0.5 0.5 0.5 (this is the voxel size in your
original stack)
POINT_DATA 1030301
SCALARS atomId unsigned_char 1
LOOKUP_TABLE default
.
...data

use vtkStructuredPointsReader to read this file and
send the output to vtkStructuredPoints

Hope this helps,
Seema