[vtkusers] Visualisation of PIV data

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Fri Oct 3 09:33:04 EDT 2003

The glyph filter (vtkGlyph2D and vtkGlyph3D) should do what you want.
You can use vtkGlyphSource2D and choose the type of arrow you want
from that. I would not use polydata to represent PIV data though.
Since PIV data tends to be regularly sampled (unless you removed/cleaned
a lot of vectors), vtkImageData (VTK's class that represents regular
rectilinear data) should fit your needs best. VTK also
has a streamline filter (vtkStreamTracer) that you can use. I also
recommend checking out ParaView (http://www.paraview.org). It is an
end-user application built on top of VTK. We are in the process of
releasing 1.0. By the way, VTK has a lot of image filters that can be
very useful to process raw PIV image files.

-Berk