[vtkusers] VTK,OpenGL under X11 v1.0/Panther

Joey Mukherjee joey at swri.edu
Mon Nov 17 16:53:00 EST 2003

I have an OpenGL application which worked fine under the beta but now
has an odd behavior under the new X11 v1.0/Panther.

The problem is I can only draw once.   By "draw", I mean I get the
expected result of my program.  But when my program destroys the OpenGL
window, it hangs.  Running the program in gdb, and hitting Ctrl-C when
it hangs I see the following output:

(gdb) where
#0  0x90017048 in semaphore_wait_signal_trap ()
#1  0x90002300 in pthread_mutex_lock ()
#2  0x78ead884 in __glXFindDRIScreen ()
#3  0x78ec8ce4 in driMesaFindDrawableByUID ()
#4  0x78ec9ac8 in driAppleSurfaceNotify ()
#5  0x78eb848c in wire_to_event ()
#6  0x85f15278 in _XEnq ()
#7  0x85f148c4 in _XReply ()
#8  0x85f0faa8 in XSync ()
#9  0x78ec8bb0 in __driMesaCollectCallback ()
#10 0x78ecaf20 in x_hash_table_foreach ()
#11 0x78ec8c34 in __driMesaGarbageCollectDrawables ()
#12 0x78ec9868 in driMesaDestroyContext ()
#13 0x78eaa004 in DestroyContext ()
#14 0x001cc878 in vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow::~vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow() ()

As you can see, it is waiting on a semaphore to clear and it never
does.  I am sending this message to both the VTK and Apple X11 mailing
list in case the problem is specific to VTK or Apple's OpenGL
implementation.  I really don't think its a VTK issue since this all
worked fine in the beta.  Naturally, I recompiled everything with the
Panther development tools/libraries.

Thanks for any ideas!

Joey