[vtkusers] Compiling on Mac OS X 10.3

Drew McCormack cormack at chem.vu.nl
Mon Nov 17 06:52:38 EST 2003

I'm trying to compile VTK 4.2.0 on Mac OS X 10.3 with gcc3.3 and Cocoa.
Things go OK, but if I try to use something in the Hybrid directory, I
get the following undefined symbols at link time:

ld: Undefined symbols:
vtkImageSource::PrintSelf(std::basic_ostream<char,
std::char_traits<char> >&, vtkIndent)
vtkOStreamWrapper::vtkOStreamWrapper[in-charge](std::
basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&)
vtkOStreamWrapper::operator std::basic_ostream<char,
std::char_traits<char> >&()
vtkOStreamWrapper::operator<<(char const*)
vtkOStreamWrapper::operator<<(void*)
vtkOStreamWrapper::operator<<(float)
vtkOStreamWrapper::operator<<(int)
vtkOStreamWrapper::operator<<(unsigned long)
vtkOStrStreamWrapper::str()
vtkOStrStreamWrapper::rdbuf()
vtkOStrStreamWrapper::freeze(int)
vtkOStrStreamWrapper::vtkOStrStreamWrapper[in-charge]()
vtkOStrStreamWrapper::~vtkOStrStreamWrapper [in-charge]()
operator<<(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&,
vtkIndent const&)

I tried to compile 4.2.4, but that crashed immediately at run time.
4.2.0 seems to work fine, except when I try to use the Hybrid stuff to
write an image to file.

Can anyone solve this symbol problem, or recommend a version of VTK
that will build well on Mac OS X, and 10.3 in particular?

Drew McCormack