[vtkusers] Problems with vtkCanvas and vtkRenderingJava.dll

MacKinnon, David David.MacKinnon at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Thu Nov 6 13:17:28 EST 2003

Hello all,

I am currently evaluating use of VTK in a research group but have
encountered a problem running any VTK code under Java 1.4. First, I have
only installed the Windows binaries on my Window 2000 workstation and have
not yet attemped rebuilding them from source code. The following steps were
completed:

1) Added vtk.jar to the CLASSPATH and vtk/bin to the search path.

2) Added vtkPanel, vtkSettings and vtkTesting to the vtk.jar. These were
obtained from the repository for VTK4.23.

3) Attempted to compile vtkCanvas so that I could add it to the jar file but
received the following compile error:

C:\temp\VTKTest\src\vtkCanvas.java:7: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class vtkPanel
location: class vtk.vtkCanvas
public class vtkCanvas extends vtkPanel implements MouseListener,
MouseMotionListener, KeyListener

3) Undaunted, I proceeded to compile sucessfully the SimpleVTK program, but
when I attempted to run it I received the following run-time error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program
Files\vtk4
2\bin\vtkRenderingJava.dll: Can't find dependent libraries
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1473)
        at vtkPanel.<clinit>(vtkPanel.java:27)
        at SimpleVTK.<init>(SimpleVTK.java:19)
        at SimpleVTK.main(SimpleVTK.java:49)

This error is listed in the archives but have found no indication of how to
fix it.

Suggestions what to try next? Do I have to download the VTK source and
rebuild it?

David MacKinnon
PhD Student, Department of Systems and Computer Engineering
Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada