[vtkusers] Normals in Open Inventor files

Chris Scharver scharver at evl.uic.edu
Wed Nov 5 17:07:10 EST 2003

On Nov 5, 2003, at 2:07 PM, Victor Tsirline wrote:

> i am trying to write PolyData with normals to an Open Inventor file
> using vtkIVWriter, but the normals are not written. when the same
> PolyData is written to a .vtk file using vtkPolyDataWriter, all the
> desired normals are written correctly. i am trying to find the same
> functionality but with Open Inventor file format.

Currently normals are not included in any way when writing the IV file.
I have code that completely converts a vtkActor into an Open Inventor
scene graph, but it's geared toward a run-time conversion linking with
an installer Open Inventor API. I'll look into copying the
normal-handling code into vtkIVWriter and contributing it. Note that
vtkIVWriter does some funky stuff with materials, so your colors may be
different.

Chris

--
Chris Scharver