[vtkusers] Re: vtkFeatureEdges AND vtkPointLocator ...

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Wed May 28 14:14:10 EDT 2003

Hi Sebastien-

The algorithm could easily be written so that it does not need
vtkPointLocator. The reason this was done was to squeeze down the size of
the output. For example, say the input is a mesh with 10,000,000 points,
and the output of (the current) vtkFeatureEdges is one line with two
points. Without using the vtkPointLocator the output would still contain
10,000,000 points. (But because of reference counting maybe it doesn't
matter because the points are not copied.) Anyway, it looks like it was
somewhat of an arbitrary implementation decision. It would be quite easy to
rewrite the filter to not use a vtkPointLocator, or to add a flag to
provide an option to the user.

Are you going to take a crack at it :-) Please send the changes.

Will