[vtkusers] OpenGL vs VTK.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Mon May 26 01:35:33 EDT 2003

    AT> Hi, I wish to develop a cross platform (Windows/MAC) image
    AT> analysis & rendering tool.  I am not able to decide whether to
    AT> use OpenGL or VTK. Can somebody tell me which is the better
    AT> option & why ? Is there any reason why I must not use VTK ?

The general answer is that you should use VTK/ITK because they will
already do bulk of the work for you and you dont re-invent the wheel.
If OTOH you have specific requirements that would be hard to do in VTK
then the situation is different.

The only reason you might not want to use VTK is that you bring in a
huge dependency to your codebase.  However, VTK builds and runs fine
on several platforms and it should not be hard to build/install on
your target platforms.

    AT> Finally, though I have decided to stick on to C++, is java a
    AT> better option ?

<asbestos suit>
At the risk of a flamewar I'd say Python is better than both, but then
again you can't expect a different answer from me. ;-)
</asbestos suit>

cheers,
prabhu