[vtkusers] Contibuting to VTK

Neil Killeen Neil.Killeen at atnf.csiro.au
Mon May 19 01:30:19 EDT 2003

Hello

I have some queries regarding contributing back to
VTK that are not answered in the "How to Contribute"
section or in the FAQ (or in a brief archive search).

1) If we contribute new code that is accepted into VTK,
  how is that code maintained (i.e. defect fixes, public interface
  and implementation changes)  in the future.  Is it
  Kitware's responsibility or are the initial developers
  expected (or allowed to if they want to)  to provide support
  as well.

2) How are "improvements" to existing code that we might make handled.
   For example,  there is a class (deLaunay3D) that we would like to
   extend in terms of offering a wider ranging public interface.

   Do we seek permission from Kitware to do this (we won't bother if
   it's  not allowed) and then submit the changes ?

3) On what time scale do we expect submitted code to find its way
   into the daily VTK system in the categories

   . simple bug fix
   . extended functionality (as in the example above)
   . new classes

  assuming the VTK coding and functionality guidelines have been followed.
  I.e. is there a formal and well-defined process for this ?

thanks
Neil