[vtkusers] vtk & MacOSX/Darwin: ld problem

Marc Dellinger dellinge at mnhn.fr
Fri May 16 05:57:47 EDT 2003

Le jeudi, 15 mai 2003, à 16:15 Europe/Paris, Adrian Umpleby a écrit :

> OK, what about other init scripts, such as .cshrc and .login -do they
> have anything in them?

no such files in my home directory

> Did you put VTK into /usr/local/VTK or /usr/local/VTK-4.2.1? If the
> latter, make sure you link /usr/local/VTK to it, or else set your
> PYTHONPATH correctly.

VTK is in /usr/local/VTK-4.2.1 and /usr/local/VTK ->
/usr/local/VTK-4.2.1

> Suggests that either you are using the wrong python, or your
> PYTHONPATH is not quite right (VTK-4.2.1 instead of just VTK?)
>
> Type "which python" to be sure it's using the X11 version you
> installed in /usr/local, rather than the standard version that comes
> with OSX (in /usr/bin) - you may need to rename the standard OSX
> python binaries in /usr/bin, and link from /usr/local/bin/python to
> /usr/local/python2.2-x11/bin/python (assuming you keep /usr/local/bin
> in your PATH).

I've done that already

> The only thing I had to add was PYTHONPATH.

Then, the VTK binaries (vtk, vtkWrappingTcl, ..) are not in the PATH
(?).

If I had /usr/local/VTK/bin to the PATH and run vtk, I get:
dyld: vtk can't open library:
/Users/adrian/VTK-Dev/VTKBuild-4.2.1/bin/libvtkCommonTCL.dylib  (No
such file or directory, errno = 2)
Trace/BPT trap

but if I add to .tcshrc:
setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/VTK/lib
then, vtk works (i.e. I get a vtk window)

is it possible that your binaries are still looking for things in
/Users/adrian/VTK-Dev/VTKBuild-4.2.1/ ?

Marc