[vtkusers] Why do I need both VTK LIBs and DLLs

Xianjin Yang Yang at AGIUSA.COM
Tue May 13 11:09:51 EDT 2003

Yes, I had BUILD_SHARED_LIBS on in Cmake when I built the VTK from the source.
But I did not see any BUILD_STATIC_LIBS flag on my Cmake. To build static libs,
should I simply set "BUILD_SHARED_LIBS" off? Thanks. Yang

-----Original Message-----
From: dean.inglis at on.aibn.com [mailto:dean.inglis at on.aibn.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 10:00 AM
To: vtkusers at public.kitware.com
Subject: RE: [vtkusers] Why do I need both VTK LIBs and DLLs

Hi Yang,

did you try building VTK static libs instead of
shared libs and then link to those libs in your
BCB project?

Dean

Hi vtkusers,

I am using vtk 4.2 and Borland C++ Builder 6 on a PC running WinXP Pro. I added
all required VTK LIB files to my C++ project. However, my C++ program did not
run without VTK DLLs installed on my client PCs. On my Project | Options |
Linker settings, I unchecked "Use Dynamic RTL". Is there anyway to get rid of
this DLL requirement? Do I have to use both VTK LIBs and DLLs? Will any guru
please straighten this up? Thanks a lot. Yang.