[vtkusers] UnstructuredGrid - ComputeBounds

john platt jcplatt at lineone.net
Fri May 9 10:38:09 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I am constructing unstructured grids from point id's that are not contiguous. Consequently, not all the point id's in the UnstructuredGrid object have values assigned. When the bounds of my test grid are computed, they typically include a minimum point at -4e+8 (the undefined points - debug dll). As a result, the grid is not displayed. With a release build of the dll's, the minimum points are -1e-3 and the grid is displayed (although this is likely to be fortuitous).

Obviously, the immediate solution is to ensure that all the point data is suitably initialised. Alternatively, the bounds could be computed based only on the point id's that are contained in the cell topologies. In this way, the true limits of the geometry would be obtained.

Would an implementation of vtkUnstructuredGrid::ComputeBounds(...) be a solution or is it likely to get bypassed by direct access to the point set?

On the other hand I may be completely off target and there is a solution already!

Thanks in advance.