[vtkusers] vtk & MacOSX/Darwin: ld problem

Marc Dellinger dellinge at mnhn.fr
Fri May 9 04:57:07 EDT 2003

Le mercredi, 7 mai 2003, à 19:30 Europe/Paris, Adrian Umpleby a écrit :

>> If I force the file to be not writable, then make -i allows to
>> continue, but at the end vtk failed because of many more "Undefined
>> symbols" and problem with zlib..
>
> Yuk... still, I'd be interested to see what they are.

a couple of Vtksomething (don't remember exactly, if you are really
interested I can try to rebuild all to get them, as I trashed
everything ...)

>> Well, thank you for your help, but I can't make it. May be one day,
>> somebody will provide a binary ....
>
> OK, here's my X11 version of VTK (about 14 Megs):
>
> http://julia.ese.ic.ac.uk/~adrian/VTK421forX11onOSX.tar.gz

Thanks. I've installed and setup the PATH as

setenv PATH "/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/VTK/bin:${PATH}"
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/VTK/lib
setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/VTK/lib
setenv PYTHONPATH "/usr/local/VTK/Wrapping/Python:/usr/local/VTK/lib"
setenv TCLLIBPATH  "/usr/local/VTK/Wrapping/Tcl:/usr/local/VTK/bin"
setenv VTK_TK_WIDGET_PATH "/usr/local/lib/vtk"

(I don't understand what to do with vtkPipeline, so I didn't)

plus

lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     wheel           /usr/local/lib/vtk ->
/usr/local/VTK/lib/
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     wheel           /usr/local/lib/libtcl8.4.dylib
-> /sw/lib/libtcl8.4.dylib
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     wheel           /usr/local/lib/libtk8.4.dylib
-> /sw/lib/libtk8.4.dylib

then

/sw/bin/python MayaVi-1.2/doc/test_vtk.py

works fine! Nice start! But when I run mayavi (from the directory or
after a python setup.py install), I got a "Segmentation fault".
This may be more a Mayavi problem, as vtk seems to work.
Any idea what to do (as I don't know Python)? (may be I shall switch to
mayavi forum)

Thanks

Marc