[vtkusers] VTK 4.2 - Unstructured grid, quadratic cells

john platt jcplatt at lineone.net
Wed May 7 05:17:58 EDT 2003

Hi VTK users,

This is my first excursion into VTK so apologies in advance if this is not the correct forum.

I am working with QUADRATIC cells (2D/3D) in unstructured grids and require a view of all the cell edges. I hit a couple of snags along the way.

1. vtkQuadraticQuad.cxx (revision 1.15) - about line 70 in GetEdge() : typo - the modulus should be 4 (the number of edges).

2. vtkExtractEdges.cxx (revision 1.44) - about line 123 in Execute() : loop over the number of points along an edge assumes a point order in increasing distance along the edge (first, next, ... last) whereas GetEdge() returns (first, last, next...). Swapping the last and mid-side nodes in the edge list gives me the required view of all the cell edges.

Unfortunately, my build of the Windows debug dll's leak memory. I am using W2K Professional MSVC6 s/p2ish. Is this likely to be a problem with the s/p level ?

What I would like is to display the quadratic cell edges as parabolas and not 2 linear segments. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.