[vtkusers] vtk & MacOSX/Darwin: ld problem

Adrian Umpleby a.umpleby at imperial.ac.uk
Tue May 6 05:06:07 EDT 2003

> Adrian Umpleby has recently reported mayavi working on OSX/Darwin, so I
> wnt to try that again but I can't install vtk with VTK_USE_X:BOOL=ON.
>
> Building shared library /usr/local/VTK/bin/libvtkRenderingTCL.dylib...
> ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _tclPlatStubsPtr
> /sw/lib/libtcl8.4.dylib(tclStubLib.o) definition of _tclPlatStubsPtr
> /sw/lib/libtk8.4.dylib(tclStubLib.o) definition of _tclPlatStubsPtr
> ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _tclIntStubsPtr
> /sw/lib/libtcl8.4.dylib(tclStubLib.o) definition of _tclIntStubsPtr
> /sw/lib/libtk8.4.dylib(tclStubLib.o) definition of _tclIntStubsPtr
> ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _Tcl_InitStubs
> /sw/lib/libtcl8.4.dylib(tclStubLib.o) definition of _Tcl_InitStubs
> /sw/lib/libtk8.4.dylib(tclStubLib.o) definition of _Tcl_InitStubs
> ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _tclIntPlatStubsPtr
> /sw/lib/libtcl8.4.dylib(tclStubLib.o) definition of _tclIntPlatStubsPtr
> /sw/lib/libtk8.4.dylib(tclStubLib.o) definition of _tclIntPlatStubsPtr
> ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _tclStubsPtr
> /sw/lib/libtcl8.4.dylib(tclStubLib.o) definition of _tclStubsPtr
> /sw/lib/libtk8.4.dylib(tclStubLib.o) definition of _tclStubsPtr

These multiple definitions haven't caused me any trouble so far in the
X11 version...

> ld: Undefined symbols:
> _vtkTkImageViewerWidget_Init
> _vtkTkRenderWidget_Init

Rather odd that!

In my vtk build directory, in Rendering/vtkRenderingTCLInit.cxx, I have
these defined as Vtktkrenderwidget_Init and Vtktkimageviewerwidget_Init
(i.e. different capitals to what you saw above).

These routines are called from Wrapping/Tcl/vtkTkAppInit.cxx and
Wrapping/Tcl/vtktcl.c (in the original source directory).

That's the case with my download of 4.2.2 - I don't know if it's the
same in your version...? (vtkNightlySrc.tar.gz - which night was that?)

I suggest you check the above files to see if the names match up.

Couple of other things...

> //Python Framework
> PYTHON_DEBUG_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=-framework Python

I think it's worth getting rid of that (though I doubt it's causing any
problems).

> //Build the vtkHybrid kit.
> VTK_USE_HYBRID:BOOL=OFF

ISTR you need the Hybrid stuff to use MayaVi...?

Hope that helps!

Adrian