[vtkusers] Performance issues with large set of actors

Jean M. Favre jfavre at cscs.ch
Mon Mar 31 03:56:57 EST 2003

Tarjei Knapstad wrote:

> I just tried visualizing about 5000 points as spheres, using a single
> vtkSphereSource, a single vtkPolyDataMapper and creating and positioning
> one vtkActor for each point.
>
> Interaction was almost impossible,

Looks like you are doing some chemistry stuff. I don't understand why
you have "one actor per point". You did not mention a vtkGlyph3D? I do
similar stuff and here is my pipeline:

vtkSphereSource   sphere
vtkGlyph3D        glyph
vtkPolyDataMapper mapper1
vtkLODActor       actor1  // to display atoms

vtkTubeFilter     tube
vtkPolyDataMapper mapper2
vtkLODActor       actor2  // to display chemical bonds

With only 2 LOD actors, I manage to interact in real-time and to do
sub-second full-size rendering of molecular models of 16000 atoms and
bonds on a GeForce4 card.

I suggest you review if you really need one actor per point.

Dr. Jean M. Favre,                            email:favre at cscs.ch
http://www.cscs.ch/people/Favre.html
CSCS, Swiss Center for Scientific Computing | Tel:  +41 (91) 610.82.40