[vtkusers] (no subject)

Budd Hirons bhiron at lsuhsc.edu
Wed Mar 26 16:19:08 EST 2003

Hello,

I have been working with the socket communication classes, and have found
some success using them in a procedural style.  I have a client
implementiung a rendering pipeline connecting to a server implementing
imagedata sources; the client invokes a server side RMI which triggers a
send/receive exchange between the client and the server.  This request (for
example: load this volume name ... or make this isosurface ... or prepare
this VOI ... or subsample this dataset ) can result in a delay while the
server processes the task and prepares an ImageData source for the
rendering pipeline in the client.  This all works fantastically across a
vtkInputPort/vtkOutputPort pairing.

To keep the client GUI responsive, I have experimented with making a thread
(using win32API CreateThread() ) to wait for the server to respond that the
task is complete.  The threadProc function registers a client-side RMI and
waits for the server to invoke it.  As the thread terminates it posts a
WM_USER type message back to the GUI thread WndProc function that the GUI
app can leverage to do things like update the pipeline with the new data.

Now I want to wrap this in a class.  The problem then, is how to properly
add class member functions as the RMI callback.  I have researched similar,
and have found examples that handle Win32API calls but am having difficulty
applying these to vtkSocketController->AddRMI().  I am confident that I
will solve it given enough time, but as always, there are many who may know
better already.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Budd Hirons.