[vtkusers] compile vtk with python

Drew McCormack cormack at chem.vu.nl
Mon Mar 24 02:38:07 EST 2003

On Monday, March 24, 2003, at 02:19  am, George A. Dowding wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to compile vtk 4.2 with the python wrapper.  I can not
> find a good setting for the ccmake variable
>
> PYTHON_LIBRARY
>
> This is what the the ccmake help says:
>
> Current option is: PYTHON_LIBRARY
>  Help string for this option is: Where can one of the python23,
> python2.3,
>  python22, python2.2, python21, python2.1, python20, python2.0,
> python16,
>  python1.6, python15 or python1.5 libraries be found
>

> If I set it to /usr/local/lib/python2.2 and try to compile (with
> fingers crossed), I get this error.
>
> [...lots of stuff being built...]
> Building shared module
> /usr/home/george/build/VTK-4.2.1/bin/libvtkCommonPython.so...
> /usr/local/lib/python2.2: file not recognized: File format not
> recognized
> *** Error code 1

I had this problem a few weeks back, and a few people on the mailing
list answered it for me. The PYTHON_LIBRARY, must be the actual library
file (ie libpython*.*.a or libpython*.*.so). On my system it is here

/usr/lib/python2.2/config/libpython2.2.a

Drew

  Dr. Drew McCormack (Kmr. R153)
  Afd. Theoretische Chemie
  Faculteit Exacte Wetenschappen