[vtkusers] Building VTK on MacOSX10.2.4 fails

Chris Scharver scharver at evl.uic.edu
Thu Mar 20 11:53:38 EST 2003

At 11:33 PM -0500 on 03/19/2003, Rich Gronostajski wrote:

>My problem is that I need X11 support or else I can't get mayaVI or paraview to work, which is what I want eventually.  Therefore the VTK_USE-X is ON.  If you can get it to build without X maybe I'll try your CMakeCache.txt file to see if mine will build and then worry about X11 support later.  Let me know if it builds and send me your CMakeCache.txt file if you can.  Thanks.

I normally just build Cocoa without any additional bindings. That build works fine. It looks like CMake explicitly sets the library value for OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY to -framework OpenGL when compiling under OS X. If building for X11, you need to add the usual suspects -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lGL -lGLU -lX11, etc to that cache value. CMake and VTK logic may not be in order for using X11 on OS X. I'll see if I can peek into it when I have some time. I know from working on a few other projects that it complicates things. Choosing bewteen Carbon and Cocoa is in place, but adding X11 as a third choice will require reworking some of the decisions made when searching for libraries.

Chris
--
Chris Scharver
Electronic Visualization Laboratory