[vtkusers] VTK Roadmap

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Wed Mar 19 08:58:59 EST 2003

The problem with a roadmap is that is assumes that you know where you want
to go :-) To some extent VTK is a creative expression of emerging
visualization technology, so we (meaning the community) are creating the
map as we go. But rather than leave you with some vague pleasantries, here
are some possibilities:

- Tcl, Python, Java - no intention of dropping any one of these
- Support for AMR (mulit-res grids see http://seesar.lbl.gov/AMR/Overview/
for an overview)
- More 3D widgets
- Improvements to the pipeline update mechanism including support for
multiresolution
- Possible support for multi-block and composite grids
- I'd like to rework the polydata and unstructured grid structures (vtkMesh ??)
- Lots more parallel support, including parallel compositing algorithms
- Algorithms like LIC, maybe a couple terrain-decimation algorithms
- Further integration of STL and other important C++ constructs (like
templates)
- Maybe unstructured grid volume rendering

However, one of the biggest changes I'd like to see are the manner in which
VTK is managed. Ken Martin has proposed an ARB; we'd also like to find a
quality Enforcer. This should bring greater stability and maturity to the
software, and provide things like roadmaps :-)

Will