[vtkusers] setting up VTK (one step at a time)

Stephen Burks stephen2718 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 16:08:26 EST 2003

ok so I have been trying for the last couple of days
to get the VTK software up an running on a Win XP
system, and I have the following problems.

1) I have downloaded the software (version 4.2) and it
says the following should be done:

1) Install the VTK 4.2 distribution by unzipping into
the
     appropriate directory.

  2) Execute CMakeSetup. This will pop-up a little
     GUI that allows you to tailor the build. It then
starts
     building .dsw and .dsp files for Microsoft, or
makefiles for Borland.
     You'll have to tell CMakeSetup where you've
placed your VTK source
     code, and where to build the object code and
dll's
     (we'll call it "vtkbin").

  3) When CMakeSetup completes, start up msdev and
load VTK.dsw.
     Select ALL_BUILD project, and build it.

2) I think I am supposed to use the
vtk42/lib/vtk/CMake directory, and when I use
CMakeSetup to create the files needed for Visual
Studio.NET, I am unable to really do anything with the
files to be compiled in VS.NET.  Does anyone here have
any idea as to what is happening that is causing me to
not be able to compile the programs?  Am I using the
correct directory to start with in the CMakeSetup
program, or should I use another dirctory in the
CMakeSetup program?

If anyone knows of a pretty comprehensive site (I have
looked on the internet but have not found anything)
that gives detailed information on this process, I
would be more than happy to start with that.

Thanks,
Dan