[vtkusers] Building with Python on Mac OS X 10.2

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Fri Mar 14 12:28:34 EST 2003

>>>>> "DMcC" == Drew McCormack <cormack at chem.vu.nl> writes:

    DMcC> I'm trying to compile VTK with python wrapping for the first
    DMcC> time on Mac OS X 10.2.4. I have cmake 1.6 and VTK 4.2.1
    DMcC> downloaded. Cmake seems to work OK, but I get the following
    DMcC> build error:

[snip]

    DMcC> I think I am setting the PYTHON_LIBRARY entry in
    DMcC> CMakeCache.txt incorrectly, but I don't know what it should
    DMcC> be. I have tried using the standard OS X version of python
    DMcC> (/usr/lib/python2.2) and the fink version
    DMcC> (/sw/lib/python2.2). Both give the same error.

    DMcC> Can someone tell me which library needs to be entered? I
    DMcC> can't find any libpython.a or anything like that on my hard
    DMcC> disk. Do I need to recompile python or something like that?

You need to point it to either libpython*.so or a libpython*.a.
Debian ships with both but I'm not sure all Python installs ship with
a shared library.  However libpython.a should be available in
/usr/lib/python2.x/config/

If you can't find any of these try building without setting
PYTHON_LIBRARY.  It used to work a long while ago but I haven't tested
this in a long while.

cheers,
prabhu