[vtkusers] More possible buffer overuns [was: VTK 4.2.1: some tests still fail on SuSE Linux 8.1]

Henner Eisen eis at gl-group.com
Fri Mar 14 06:53:22 EST 2003

Hi Andy,

 >Good catch. I fixed the file name issues. Could you please try to build
 >the CVS of VTK and test?

I retried the test with VTK nightly as of 2003-03-14. When I use the
same VTKData path, all IO tests pass. Thanks!

Then I did an additional stress test in order to detect possible other
pathname buffer overruns. I did `make test' twice, first with
an extremely short and then with an extremely long VTKData path.
The idea is that tests which pass with short but fail with long
path names are likely subject to a buffer overrun bug
(or at least to some other memory management related problem):

$ORIG  original path to VTKData directory
$SHORT extremely short  (11 characters) symlink path to VTKData directory
$LONG  extremely long (2461 characters) symlink path to VTKData directory

#save original DartTestfiles.txt
for i in */Testing/*/DartTestfile.txt; do j=$i.orig; cp $i $j; done

#run test with extremely short VTKData path
for i in */Testing/*/DartTestfile.txt; do j=$i.orig; sed
'1,$s@'"$ORIG"@"$SHORT"@ < $j  > $i; done
make test

  99% tests passed, 2 tests failed out of 381

  The following tests FAILED:
          volRCClipPlanes-image
          volRCRotateClip-image
  make: *** [test] Error 2

#run test with extremely long VTKData path
for i in */Testing/*/DartTestfile.txt; do j=$i.orig; sed '1,$s@'"$ORIG"@"$LONG"@
< $j  > $i; done

  92% tests passed, 29 tests failed out of 381

  The following tests FAILED:
          clipImage-image
          edgePoints-image
          EnSight6Elements-image
          EnSight6OfficeBin-image
          EnSightGoldElements-image
          EnSightBlow1ASCII-image
          EnSightBlow1Bin-image
          EnSightBlow2ASCII-image
          EnSightBlow2Bin-image
          EnSightBlow3Bin-image
          EnSightBlow4Bin-image
          EnSightBlow5ASCII-image
          EnSightIronProtASCII-image
          EnSightIronProtBin-image
          EnSightOfficeASCII-image
          EnSightOfficeBin-image
          EnSightRectGridASCII-image
          EnSightRectGridBin-image
          EnSightMandelbrot-image
          EnSightSelectArrays-image
          EnSightCompound-image
          nacaBinary-image
          skinOrder-image
          resampledTexture-image
          labeledContours-image
          volRCClipPlanes-image
          volRCRotateClip-image
          ImagePlaneWidget
          TestSplineWidget
  make: *** [test] Error 29

There are no new difference images with respect to the short path test.

Henner

|                                        url :     http://www.gl-group.com /
| Dipl.-Math. Henner Eisen     __     Address:                            /
| eis at gl-group.com          G /  \ L   Germanischer Lloyd                /
| phone: +49-40-36149-985   -+----+-   Vorsetzen 32       P.O.Box 111606/
| fax  : +49-40-36149-7320    \__/     20459 Hamburg      20416 Hamburg/
|                                      Germany                        /

Beachten Sie:  Wir moechten Sie informieren, dass die E-Mail-Adresse des Germanischen Lloyd sowie unsere Web-Adresse mit Wirkung vom 1. Maerz 2003 auf den Namen gl-group.com umgestellt wurde.

Dies bedeutet, dass die bisherige Adresse Kurzzeichen at germanlloyd.org durch die neue Adresse Kurzzeichen at gl-group.com ersetzt wird. Die Homepage des GL ist kuenftig ueber die Adresse 'http://www.gl-group.com' aufrufbar. Die bisher verwendeten Adressen bleiben fur eine Uebergangsfrist erreichbar.

Please notice: We would like to inform you that the e-mail address of Germanischer Lloyd as well as our internet address had been changed to  gl-group.com with effect from 1st March 2003.

This means that the previous address shortmark at germanlloyd.org will be replaced by shortmark at gl-group.com. From now on the GL homepage can be accessed at the address 'http://www.gl-group.com'. The old addresses remain valid for a transitional period.

This e-mail contains confidential information for the exclusive attention of the intended addressee. Any access of third parties to this e-mail is unauthorised. Any use of this e-mail by unintended recipients such as copying, distribution, disclosure etc. is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients the content of this e-mail is subject to the General Terms and Conditions of GL's Group of Companies applicable at the date of this e-mail.

GL's Group of Companies does not warrant and/or guarantee that this message at the moment of receipt is authentic, correct and its communication free of errors, interruption etc.