[vtkusers] Building with Python on Mac OS X 10.2

Drew McCormack cormack at chem.vu.nl
Fri Mar 14 06:31:49 EST 2003

I'm trying to compile VTK with python wrapping for the first time on
Mac OS X 10.2.4. I have cmake 1.6 and VTK 4.2.1 downloaded. Cmake seems
to work OK, but I get the following build error:

Building shared module
/Users/cormack/Develop/VTK421/VTKBuild/bin/libvtkCommonPython.so...
ld: can't map file: /sw/lib/python2.2 ((os/kern) invalid argument)
make[3]: ***
[/Users/cormack/Develop/VTK421/VTKBuild/bin/libvtkCommonPython.so]
Error 1
make[2]: *** [default_target] Error 2
make[1]: *** [default_target_Common] Error 2
make: *** [default_target] Error 2

I think I am setting the PYTHON_LIBRARY entry in CMakeCache.txt
incorrectly, but I don't know what it should be. I have tried using the
standard OS X version of python (/usr/lib/python2.2) and the fink
version (/sw/lib/python2.2). Both give the same error.

Can someone tell me which library needs to be entered? I can't find any
libpython.a or anything like that on my hard disk. Do I need to
recompile python or something like that?

Drew

  Dr. Drew McCormack (Kmr. R153)
  Afd. Theoretische Chemie
  Faculteit Exacte Wetenschappen