[vtkusers] vtkScalarBarActor & Disappearing actors.

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at its.tudelft.nl
Tue Mar 11 10:40:09 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 16:02, N Smethurst wrote:
> Le Mardi 11 Mars 2003 11:23, Charl P. Botha a écrit :
> > This is most probably because you were sharing vtkActors/vtkTextures
> > between RenderWindows.  With the current architecture of VTK, this is
> > not recommended.
>
> Any chance you can expand on why this is so? I have been developing an
> application that uses prop collections to hold actors that are shared
> between multiple render windows.. Everything works fine (apart from the
> memory leak issues we discussed before), but from what you say, this is
> not a good idea.

You could have a read of the thread again for the details, but it comes
down to the fact that textures and mappers re-generate ALL display lists
and re-upload all textures when they notice that they are drawing to a
new renderwindow.  So, if you're sharing between two RenderWindows,
redrawing becomes much more expensive.  If you're not sharing, display
lists and textures are re-used, which is muuuuch faster.

Moral of the story: don't share textures and don't share mappers
(actors) between RenderWindows.

HTH,
Charl