[vtkusers] Re: Re: Re: Best video card for VTK?

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at its.tudelft.nl
Fri Mar 7 16:01:16 EST 2003

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 03:46:29PM -0500, Dave Reed wrote:
> On Friday 07 March 2003 15:12, Charl P. Botha wrote:
> > As I say in my mail above: the rendering bugs occur in current DRI
> CVS.  I
> > know that they're fixed in 4.3, but then 4.3 has those other
> show-stopper
> > bugs I mention.  Either way, there are serious problems with the open
> source
> > drivers that, in the presence of high-quality binary drivers for
> NVidia
> > cards, make the NVidia choice more prudent for people who are
> > interested in focusing on VTK work.
>
> Sorry, somehow I managed to misread your e-mail and thought you were
> using XFree 4.2. All the bugs I had noticed went away when I switched
> to using Mesa 4.x (software rendering) so I've been patiently waiting
> for XFree 4.3 to include Mesa 4.x with hardware support.

XFree86 4.3 does include mesa 4.0.4 with full hardware support, depending on
the hardware you use.  This IS stable for single-context OpenGL
applications, but NOT for multi-context apps.  I have a short wxPython/VTK
script that would probably demonstrate this on your setup.

> I hope you've reported these bugs (sounds like you have) so they will
> get fixed.

That's the whole problem: they'll probably NOT get fixed in a timely
fashion, as the majority of the 3D crowd is happy when their little
single-context single-threaded FPS shooter works.  There are some really
fantastic developers working on this, but they have their hands full as it
is.

Thanks,
Charl