[vtkusers] Building examples on Mac OS 10 (Mac OS X)

Bill Detlefs wfdetlefs at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 19:05:43 EST 2003

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me how to build the examples on Mac OS
X?

I have been able to build VTK following the steps
outlined at

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/02/11/dev_osx.html

Those steps included setting

BUILD_EXAMPLES:BOOL=OFF
VTK_USE_COCOA:BOOL=ON

in the CMakeCache.txt file.

If I change

BUILD_EXAMPLES:BOOL=OFF  to ON, then I don't seem to
end up with any executables for the examples.  I don't
know if this is related, but during compilation I get
the messages

ranlib: file:
/Users/wdetlefs/Develop/VTKBuild/bin/libvtktiff.a(tif_ojpeg.o)
has no symbols

ranlib: file:
/Users/wdetlefs/Develop/VTKBuild/bin/libvtktiff.a(tif_pixarlog.o)
has no symbols

as well as a bunch of warnings related to
vtkCocoaGLView.mm.  If I type "make" or "make install"
in the Examples directory, it says everything is up to
date, even though there are no executables for the
examples.

I also tried setting

BUILD_EXAMPLES:BOOL=ON
VTK_USE_COCOA:BOOL=OFF
VTK_USE_X:BOOL=ON

and got some similar compiler messages as above (but
not the warnings, if I recall correctly)

I don't really care if I build for Carbon, Cocoa, X11,
or whatever, I would just like to be able to type the
names of examples on the command line and have them
run.

I am running 10.2.3.  I have X11 installed.  Also, I
don't know if it matters, but I am running csh, not
tcsh.

Thanks,
Bill

=====
"A habit of basing convictions upon evidence, and of giving to them only that degree of certainty which the evidence warrants, would, if it became general, cure most of the ills from which the world suffers."
--Bertrand Russell