[vtkusers] vtkScalarBarActor & Disappearing actors.

Michael Bonner bonner10 at llnl.gov
Thu Mar 6 13:43:10 EST 2003

VTK users:

I am using vtk to visualize a bunch of polyhedra (blocks) and cylinders.
Both the blocks and the cylinders have scalar values associated with their
point data, and I have a lut & vtkScalarbarActor for each vtkDataArray. The
two scalar bar actors are associated with a single renderer; all other data
(blocks & cylinders) are associated with a different renderer. Both
renderers are in the same window, but Have distinct sections of the view port.

I want to be able to change the vtkDataArray associated with either the
blocks or the cylinders point data, rebuild the table, and then render the
scene and then to be able to interact with the blocks and/or cylinders.

My problem is that some blocks or cylinders are just not visible sometimes.
If I change data array & rebuild the table more blocks or cylinders may
disappear, or they may be restored. There does not seem to be any ryhme or
reason to what is happening. Sometimes, if I change the array & rebuild, a
rectangle of color appears in another(unrelated) renderer in another
section of the view port.

I have been dealing with this problem for a while and my current working
solution is to keep the scalar bars in another vtkRenderWindow. If I do
this their are no problems whatsoever.

Recently I thought that If i just removed the renderer with the blocks &
cylinders from the window, then added the renderer with the scalar bar
actors, rendered, removed the scalar bar renderer, and then put the
block&cylinder renderer back in the window, that their would be no way that
the scalar bar actors could interfere with the block & cylinder
actors--this did not work.

Currently I have no idea why this is happening. If anybody at all has any
idea or has seen any thing similar I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again & in advance.
Mike Bonner