[vtkusers] cannot use vtkpython

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Wed Mar 5 13:50:12 EST 2003

hi,

    CF> I use activestate python 2.1 on win2k. After downloaded
    CF> vtkcore and vtkpython, i install them on the same directory.
    CF> Then pythonpath is added to show route to the bin and
    CF> wrapping\python directories.  Then invoke python21.exe and
    CF> press "import vtk", i get:

[snip]

    CF> refine_import _err raise LinkError, str(exc)
    CF> vtk.__helper.LinkError: DLL load failed: failed in init the
    CF> dll ( sorry in my computer is chinese character, i translate
    CF> it)

I have very little experience with Activestates Python releases and do
not know if extension modules built using vanilla Python will run with
Active state's Python.  The link error you are getting indicates some
incompatibility but without more detailed error messages I'm not sure
we will be able to help you.  You can try to do the following:

 import vtkCommonPython

and see what you get.  Judging from the traceback you posted I'm
guessing that this should work and that the following fails:

 import vtkRenderingPython

However I can't really say why this happens without more details on
the error.

cheers,
prabhu