[vtkusers] building and byte swapping

Dave Semeraro semeraro at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 5 16:19:53 EST 2003

Hello,

This has probably been asked before but I could not find an answer by
searching the archives.
I am building VTK-4.2.1 with CMake 1.6.5 under Linux on an Intel XEON
system. My question
is, How do you coerce CMake to define CMAKE_WORDS_BIGENDIAN? The reason I want
to do this is so that vtkByteSwap wont. I am writing binary vtk data files
for input to vtk and if
CMAKE_WORDS_BIGENDIAN is not defined then neither is VTK_WORDS_BIGENDIAN and
so the code in vtkByteSwap swaps the bytes when it reads. The ifdef resides
in vtkConfigure.h.
I can edit this file by hand and make vtk compile as I wish but that is not
a very satisfying thing.
I really want to know where I am going wrong. As always, any help would be
appreciated.

Dave

Dave Semeraro Ph.D.
Visualization and Virtual Environments Group
NCSA University of Illinois
605 E. Springfield Ave.
Champaign, IL 61820
Semeraro at ncsa.uiuc.edu