[vtkusers] vtkpython:Linux SMP:SIGSEGV upon import vtk

Brent Goodrick bgoodrick at ipns.com
Tue Mar 4 00:27:00 EST 2003

>> libvtkCommon.so => /tmp/VTK/VTK/bin2/libvtkCommon.so (0x402c6000)
donna> [snip]
>> If I did not add the bin2 directory, it would not find it.  If I did
>> not move the bin directory to the bin2 directory and did not change
>> the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, then it _would_ still find it because there must
>> be a default path set inside the .so that is hardcoded to your build
>> directory.

donna> Note that after you mv bin2 bin, ldd resolves to
donna> /tmp/VTK/VTK/bin2/libvtkCommon.so -- not /tmp/VTK/bin2/libvtkCommon.so.
donna> You've got /tmp/VTK and /tmp/VTK/VTK, evidently.  If you got rid of
donna> /tmp/VTK/VTK, then you'd probably get a not found after moving bin2 bin,
donna> until you updated your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

You are right, but that is a typo, as I replaced my long
/scratch/... path to /tmp, and accidentally left an extra VTK in
there.

>> Notice above also that the libstdc++.so.5 was not found!  Why? because
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not include my special path to the GCC 3.2.1
>> libstdc++.so* libraries.

donna> Yes -- I copied my gcc libs to a directory in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
donna> actually.

That's fine, but it might not be a good idea to mix them on different
OS releases and species.

Brent