[vtkusers] Surface reconstruction filters

Carlos Martinez cmarbur at iti.upv.es
Mon Jun 30 10:57:42 EDT 2003

Hi all.

I have to get a surface from a set of points on its boundary. I have tried
using vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter and vtkDelaunay3D but sometimes I
don't get good results. I have tried using
vtkPowerCrustSurfaceReconstruction and I get better surfaces but I can't
use if because I'm developing comercial software.

Are there any other reconstruction algorithms implemented in VTK? Have you
any references about such class algorithms in other programs/libraries?

Furthermore, I have another problem. I need to create a random set of
points inside a surface (triangle mesh) and I don't know how exactly do
it.

I have tried to create points and test if they are inside the surface,
using vtkOBBTree.InsideOrOutside method. The problem is that sometimes
this method doesn't run well. I returs a value indicating that the points
are inside the surface but really they are outside.

I have thought this could be possible because of bad normal directions in
the surface. I then run vtkPolyDataNormals to sort the points of the cells
and calc normals correctly. Nothing changes.

Then I have thought that I use a surface from Delaunay3D or
SurfaceReconstructionFilter filter, and it could be possible that the
surface was not closed. I don't know if there is a way to test if a
surface is closed. Is there a method like this? How could I solve this
problem?

Do you know other methods to test if a point is inside a surface or to
create a random point set inside this surface?

Thank you in advance.

Carlos Martínez Burgos      |     Instituto Tecnológico de Informática
Ingeniero Informático       |      Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
Tlf: +34 963877237          |                        Camí de Vera, S/N
cmarbur at iti.upv.es          |                   46071 Valencia - Spain
www.iti.upv.es/~cmarbur     |                           www.iti.upv.es