[vtkusers] Defining my own structuring element

Michael S. Vaz gte631d at mail.gatech.edu
Mon Jun 30 06:51:37 EDT 2003

Hi all,
I need help with some simple morphological operations

Purpose: to dilate/erode using a simple 3D cross

I am using VTK4.0 & 4.2, and for vtkImageContinuousDilate3D, and for
vtkImageContinuousErode3D the only available parameter is SetKernelSize(x,
y, z)

so if for example I the following (in Python):

dilim = vtkImageContinuousDilate3D()
dilim.SetKernelSize(3,3,3)

I can observe that my structing element comprises of a 3x3 array(middle
layer) of 1s, inbetween two 2D crosses of 1s.

I see a method in the vtk4.3 documentation: SelectInputScalars().  I do
believe that this method provides us with a way to define our own
structring element; however the said method is not available in vtk4.2 or
older.

**If someone knows of a way to perform erosion/dilation using a simple
3D-Cross as the structuring element, please let me know.

Thanks,
Sarju

Michael S. Vaz
324607 Georgia Tech Station