[vtkusers] raw buffer access in Tcl

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at ewi.tudelft.nl
Tue Jun 17 03:49:23 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 02:21, David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz wrote:
> I have thought for a while that if the vtk build process can auto-generate
> wrappers for other languages then why not for C++. This would give
> 'introspection' capabilities which would be very useful to make a vtk
> pipeline editor...

I would like to add my 2 cents.  I have not seen RPD yet, but one of the
better examples of a VTK pipeline editor is the VISSION system[1] by
Alex Telea[2].  It blows most other network editors out of the water, as
wrapping VTK represents only a single case study for VISSION.  The
system has been used to wrap other large C++ toolkits as well.

Alex solved the introspection issue in an entirely generic (and
therefore universally applicable) fashion by making use of a C++
interpreter and Alex's metaclass concept.

The only disadvantage of VISSION is that it's not publically available.
:)  However, the way in which the C++ introspection problem was solved
is available and has been proven to work exceedingly well.

Personally, I would just do it via Python a la vtkPipeline (by Prabhu,
based on work by Paul for Tcl), but then that's me. :)

[1] http://www.win.tue.nl/~alext/ALEX/PAPERS/papers.html (search for
keyword VISSION, there are at least 4 articles)
[2] http://www.win.tue.nl/~alext/

Best regards,
Charl