[vtkusers] ??? surface mesh and determination of in/out of the volume

David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz
Mon Jun 16 20:28:51 EDT 2003

Michael,
  vtkPolyDataNormals will give outward facing surface normals. For each
cell/point in the original data you could subtract the normal from the
point to generate a new point. For very small displacements this could be
used to create a new mesh directly. For a more general solution I suppose
you could use 3D Delauny triangulation on the displaced points?

 Dave P

|--------+--------------------------------->
|        |          "Michael Hilbinger"    |
|        |          <michael.hilbinger at nmfg|
|        |          mbh.de>                |
|        |          Sent by:               |
|        |          vtkusers-admin at public.k|
|        |          itware.com             |
|        |                                 |
|        |                                 |
|        |          16/06/2003 20:18       |
|        |                                 |
|--------+--------------------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                            |
  |      To:     <vtkusers at public.kitware.com>                                                                 |
  |      cc:                                                                                                   |
  |      Subject:     [vtkusers] ??? surface mesh and determination of in/out of the volume                    |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hello,

I want to use vtk to construct layer meshes from a given surface mesh
defining a volume and - as expected - I'm encountering problems.

how could I solve the following:

I have a surface mesh consisting of triangles. As said, the surface is
closed and will represent a volume. If I want to contruct an offset surface
mesh inside the original surface mesh by geometrical definition, I'll need
to determine the direction towards the inside of the volume. Has anybody an
idea how I might perform this task?

Best regards
Michael

     _o